Saturday, December 15, 2007

Queenstown

Queenstown is pretty but the main attraction for most people are the extreme sports that you can do there. Briony did 4 bungy jumps in 2 days, including the ´Nevis´, the highest bungy in NZ (about 143 meteres, I think). It´s immense. Throwing myself off things is not really up my street, so I stood by and took photos and films of all the action. For the last bungy, Briony jumped off backwards and did a matrix style pose, which she was extremenly proud of! We got an amazing photo of it. She was on a high for several days afterwards and randomly span around every now and then saying ¨Matrix. Pow. Pow. Pow. Pow¨.

While we were in Queenstown we also made a day trip to Milford Sound. It was misty which made the landscape even more beautiful, but in hindsight I don´t think the trip was worth it. All in all we spent a total of about 10 hours on a bus for just an hour and a half on the boat. But perhaps I am prejudiced because as soon as I went on deck to see some of the wildlife (penguins, seals) I was hit with a sudden bout of motion sickness and for at least half the time I was sitting with my head down trying not to throw up.

On the last evening we had a lovely meal with a few friends we made along the way. It was a tiny, cosy pub/restaurant, hidden away on a back street, with an open fire and delicious food.

No comments: