Friday, December 14, 2007

Seals in Kaikoura

Kaikoura is full of adorable fur seals. We stopped off to see a colony. If I remember rightly, fur seals can swim at 30km p.h., which is hard to believe when you see these gorgeous, chubby lumps resting on the rocks. They look so funny when they move on land - like they have a limp and have been indulging in a few beers! I got a bit enthusiastic with my photo taking. I went out on the shore, as close as safely possible, to get some goodens, and the wind swept my new hat clean off my head and straight in the sea. It was extremely blowy. As my hat was brand new, I was not prepared to give up easily on it so I was the last to board the bus, wet and wind-swept.

Kaikoura is also popular for whale-watching. Unfortunately the weather conditions were far too choppy to go out on the water, which was disappointing.

No comments: